I was recently invited to joinTechCocktail week’s Las Vegas event here in Downtown Las Vegas. This area has experience an immense transformation since Tony Hsieh has committed $350MM of his own money including some investors to bring Collisions Colearning Connectedness to this once sleepy area of town.
Tony himself opens up his home office atop the 15th floor of the Ogden apartment complex to show the community and new businesses the future and the group vision for the new community.
I will be the first to say, I visit Vegas all the time but have never set foot in this part of town, but being here the past 3 days I don’t suffer any Vegas fatigue you usually experience from staying on the strip: walking, tourists, smoke, dinging of the slot machines. No, here its much much different, its where locals hang out and new people come to start their lives in a blossoming community.
This is not just a techie community but there is a whole ecosystem and community being built around new businesses, arts, and incubators powering the new economy of Las Vegas.
To me it only makes sense where the cost of living and salary expectations of the hot markets of Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York make Las Vegas the best place to be. You have access to the best entertainment and restaurants in the world and a growing talent pool of young people looking to make a difference in the world.
The community is small but growing, and many of the old motels are being transformed into new offices and learning facilities.
A few of the highlights on my experience here:
- Wild -Gluten free organic farm to table food
- La Comida – Hip Latin fusion restaurant that used to be in an old hotel’s laundry room
- Writers Block – A new coffee shop and place where they have a machine to publish your books
- Gold Spike – An old casino hotel, turned into a cool lounge with no slot machines but with fun games just to hang out
- Eat. – A new restaurant from an experienced Strip chef looking for something more creative
- Workinprogress – A new cosharing work environment where startups and new entrepreneurs can come together
There are so many more places and companies popping up everywhere. Just being in the area you bump into so many different t people doing exciting things, like LocalMotors who is going to 3D print the first automobile!
I highly suggest that if you are in Las Vegas to spend the day here and check it out, it will be the future of Las Vegas and I am proud I was here to witness it and to be a part of it!